The polka dot top is close to done. Here is a peek at the most recent progress, which includes sewing the side seams and attaching the peplum:
There are just a few more things to do:
❦ Put in the invisible zipper, which will involve ripping out some stitching, as previously mentioned;
❦ Add the crochet lace trim and facings to the sleeves;
❦ Sew the hem;
❦ Catch stitch the facings; and
❦ Make a matching belt with covered buckle (with a kit from A Fashionable Stitch).
And voilà! It will be done.
It fits perfectly across the bust, but the shoulders are off somehow. Mine are a bit forward, which I used to compensate for, but never found a decent way to do so for sleeves cut in one with the bodice. I also used to widen shoulders, but didn’t think I needed to do that for the larger pattern size I use now. Maybe I still do.
My next project is a loose-fitting blouse, the Sencha from Colette Patterns. Then I want to perfect a basic wide-leg pants pattern that I can make a zillion times.
But after all that, I think I’ll do another sloper (see Glossary). I haven’t done one in years. I’d like to really get a handle on the key pattern alterations I need to make for fitted tops and bodices from the Big 4. I’d like one nice woven white cotton blouse that actually fits correctly and is comfortable to wear! Such a thing is impossible to get in the stores.
It might be time to buy some gingham.