Sigh. I always think I can get more accomplished than I actually can.
With a full day of errands on Saturday, going to the Giants game and buying a new dishwasher on Sunday, and finishing The Help this morning (excellent book, by the way. Can’t wait to see the movie), I didn’t get as far as I’d hoped on my current project this holiday weekend. I’m a bit anxious because it’s a summer top and skirt. While we still have lots of warm weather left in Northern California for the year, I’m also wanting to get working on the Colette Patterns Fall Palette Challenge.
The coral polka dot quilting fabric for the skirt and top is cut and marked. While doing that, I rethought my plan to underline the material for the top. It seemed to have plenty of body on its own. And judging from the muslin, it might be too heavy with the extra layer in the pleats at the neck and waistline. I had wanted to tack the neckline and sleeve facings to the underlining for a neat finish, so I’ll have to give some thought to how I finish those facings and the hem. I even have the crazy notion of possibly doing a waist stay.
I will still be lining the skirt; however, and I cut those pieces out as well. I was planning to make the skirt about 30 inches long but have changed my mind. That length just didn’t seem right for a summer outfit. I’ll go with the 25-inch length I did on my most recent skirt. I hope those proportions work with the top.
Next will be cutting and fusing the interfacing. I got a fairly new fusible woven interfacing on the advice of the lady at the JoAnn’s cutting counter. I haven’t tried it before. It’s pricier than the nonwoven, but she said it doesn’t pill. I hate worn out, pilled interfacing. It’s just cheapens a project. I’ll report on how it works out.
Cutting is my least favorite part of a project. My favorite is the very first construction seam. That’s when I enter my happy sewing zone. I hope to be there by the end of the week.